Like most families, we get into what most call a food rut. I don’t think it is necessarily a bad thing but we just get used to eating the same kind of food and just roll with it because it is easier than trying to meal plan new things when you are really busy. Instead of trying completely new things we just tweak what we like and try to come up with new flavors. As you can see our current favorite is cauliflower. In the past few weeks, I have shared recipes for this Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Mash and Southwestern Cauliflower Casserole . It all started with the southwestern casserole. It was the first time my husband has ever eaten and enjoyed cauliflower. For us, this meant a new veggie in the rotation, YAY! The frozen steam in the bag varieties makes it so darn easy to prep this. My cousin gave me a ziplock steam in the bag to try and I loved that too for fresh cauliflower. So use whatever makes more sense to you. Fresh cauliflower is always expensive at my store so unless it is on sale I usually opt for the frozen bag that runs me $1.19. This was a hit with the whole family, all the comforting flavors of a loaded baked potato without the carbs of course. Until our next recipe, take care and eat yummy food!
[amazon_link asins=’B003UEKBKC,B00LBZOYAK,B0016ZS6GS,B000EURKG8,B017U69MOQ,B01N32WEAC’ template=’CopyOf-ProductGrid’ store=’tableandachai-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’bef65d5a-c3d0-11e7-9827-d310b048f45b’]
Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen cauliflower
- 1/4 pound bacon diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 cup cheese cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 scallions sliced
- Microwave or steam cauliflower to package directions, Fry up bacon, drain, and reserve fat. Preheat oven to 425°.
- To a food processor add cauliflower, butter, bacon fat, heavy cream, sour cream, and half the bacon. Blend until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of cheese, scallions, and salt. Taste and adjust salt if needed then stir in the egg.
- Place in a shallow 9 inch dish and top with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Top with additional scallions and sour cream if desired.