After years of turning up my nose at tofu, I have rounded the corner and welcomed the ingredient into my kitchen. I’m aware that tofu may not be on everyone’s “must have” food list but I have to admit, I really enjoy it. It is very versatile and it is an easy way to bulk up a meatless meal. We eat a low carb lifestyle most of the time and sometimes I am just not in the mood for another piece of chicken, sausage, fish, or steak! You could also make this with eggplant slices if you are really not into trying tofu, I love both varieties. An added bonus is tofu is very inexpensive, I purchased the block for $2.49 which was enough for 4 servings.
- Make sure you squeeze the excess moisture out of the tofu so it has a chance to get crispy when you fry it up.
- Buy a good marinara or see the notes below on how to make your own.
- Do not crowd the pan, you want the coating on the tofu to get nice and crispy!
[amazon_link asins=’B00DL9LNNU,B004TQPJAM,B000SEJ8F6′ template=’CopyOf-ProductGrid’ store=’tableandachai-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’781ce505-05e1-11e8-a6ff-7388ffb95e68′]
Tofu Parmesan over Garlic Spinach
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce *I used homemade, Rao’s is a good store bought brand
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 12 ounce package firm tofu
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese provolone would work as well
- 10 ounces spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your broiler, warm your tomato sauce, and prepare a baking tray with some foil. In one bowl mix together the almond flour, parmesan cheese, and oregano. Season this with salt and pepper. In another bowl beat the egg and a tablespoon of water until well combined. This is your batter station.
- Remove the tofu from the package, cut it in half horizontally and the cut each half again horizontally so you end up with 4 even slices. One at a time place in between layers of a clean dish towel. Press down to remove all the excess moisture. you want to push down hard but not hard enough to break it.
- Season your tofu slices with salt and pepper. Heat large skillet with 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. One at a time place a piece of tofu in the egg to coat, lift up and let excess fall off then press into the almond/parm mixture to coat. Fry in the oil, do not move it around, let one side get brown before flipping. Do this in 2 batches wiping out the skillet in between and adding more oil as necessary to not crowd the pan. When your tofu is brown on all sides transfer to the prepared baking tray.
- When all your tofu is done top each piece with the mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler to get bubbly and melty. While this is melting wipe out your skillet and return to the heat. Add the half tablespoon of oil and the garlic. Then add all the spinach and salt and pepper. Cook long enough just to wilt it, about 1-2 minutes then transfer to a serving platter. Remove the tofu from the oven, place on top of the spinach and then top it all with the marinara sauce to serve. Enjoy!