This version of keto pizza crust is the one recipe we made early on in our journey that had me convinced I could actually stick with this way of eating. I can’t take credit for the creation, there are many versions around. I started making this crust with the version from the Fathead website. We changed a few things around to lower the carbs a tiny bit more and made it work for us. After a few tries, we decided that we like it with no red sauce but a garlic butter instead. I do veggies on my half and my husband sticks with traditional pepperoni. A few tips I want to share,
- The trick to spreading it out is to make sure you have your hands wet, if not the dough will stick to you and you will have a mess. Start from the middle and work your way out.
- Have the parchment paper ready to go on your cookie sheet before you start microwaving.
- Omit the oregano, cook it for a little longer and cut it into cracker size pieces, AMAZING for dippers.
- The carb content depends on the ingredients you choose, there are variations in different brands of cheeses so just add all of them up and divide it by how many slices you cut to get your number.
- If you do not want to invest in a large bag of almond flour you can find it in bulk at many stores such as Fresh Thyme or Whole Foods and just buy what you need.
Do not let this recipe trick you into thinking it is health food, haha. It is not something I would recommend eating every day as it is high in calories. But it is a delicious way to indulge and stay within the parameters of a low carb lifestyle. If you like this crust check out this recipe for a smoked salmon flatbread I made for Mother’s Day brunch using the fathead crust. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Make it at Home
Low Carb Pizza Crust “Fathead Style”
- 1 1/2 cups mozzerella shredded
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- garlic salt
- Preheat your oven to 425° Have a cookie sheet ready with a piece of parchment paper on it.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the mozzerella and the cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir well to combine the cheeses. Place back in and microwave it for 30 more seconds. Working quickly add the almond flour and the egg. Stir quickly to combine ingredients.
- Dump this mixture in the middle of the parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Preferably near your sink because you will need to get your hands wet a few times to spread the dough. Wet your hands with water, working from the middle gently spread out the dough to the desired shape. Add more water to your hands if the dough becomes to sticky.
- Poke with a fork all over, add a sprinkle of garlic salt and oregano and place in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and poke any bubbles with a fork. Place back in the oven and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden brown in spots.
- Remove from the oven and add toppings, place back in the oven until the toppings are melted, usually 5 to 8 minutes. Let it rest for a few minutes before cutting into it.