Anyone who follows my blog knows my love for the leftover ham bones from any holiday feast. This recipe for ham and potato soup uses a ham bone leftover from a holiday. There are so many things you can do with leftover ham besides sandwiches. You can make black bean soup or mac and cheese with ham. Being able to reuse ingredients you might otherwise throw out is a great way to save you some money.
This recipe is a bowl of delicious potato soup with ham and cheese. I used cream in the recipe. You could use whole milk or even sour cream if you had it on hand. There is a rumor you can go to your local Honeybaked Ham store and just buy the bones. I am not sure of the price but I am curious to know if it is worth it and how much meat is on them. If anyone has tried this please leave your comments below, I would love to know.
I use one of my favorite kitchen gadgets Cuisinart Smart Stick 2 Speed Hand Blender, Brushed Stainless Steel to blend the soup. A potato masher like this OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Potato Masher with Cushioned Handle would work as well. Next time you have leftover ham I hope you try this and love it as much as we do!
A huge thank you goes out to all of the readers, cooks, food enthusiasts, friends, and keto warriors who support this blog! Come and follow our Facebook page where we post all of our new recipes and ideas!
There are links on this site that can be defined as “affiliate links”. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you happen to purchase something through the links provided.
Table and a Chair is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. An affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.
Ham and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 ham bone or ham hock
- 6 potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat add the oil, onion, and celery seed. Saute for a few minutes to soften the onion. Add the ham bone and 8 cups of water. let this simmer over low for 2 hours giving it a stir every half hour or so.
- After 2 hours remove the bone, when it cools enough to the touch remove any of the meat and chop it up to bite size pieces if needed and reserve the meat for later, discard the bone. Turn the heat back up to a medium and add the potatoes, 2 cups of water, and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Bring this up to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the consistency you like from chunky to smooth, it is your choice. If you like it chunkier or do not have an immersion blender just use a potato masher to break up the potatoes. Stir in the cream, cheddar cheese, and reserved ham. Taste to see if it needs any salt or pepper and add acordingly. Serve it with some crusty bread and enjoy!