Broccoli Soup with Ham and Swiss
Whenever I make something with broccoli and my husband wants to hate it but just can’t, I do a happy dance. I was craving a creamy chowder soup of sorts and thanks to leftover ham and shredded swiss we had in the fridge this is what was created. The flavors are a play on chicken cordon bleu but in a creamy satisfying winter soup. Lucky us, we had some leftover ham from a honeybaked frozen from the holidays. No need to throw leftovers out, just wrap them really tight in 4-6 ounce portions and freeze for an easy weeknight meal.
The picture of the soup was up on my instagram a few weeks ago with a promise of a recipe to follow so here it is! A few notes about the soup
- You can buy a chunk of ham from the deli and dice it up yourself if you do not have leftovers in the freezer.
- Cheddar cheese would be yummy too, we just had swiss on hand and it blended perfectly with the other flavors.
- As prepared there are 9 net carbs/ serving you can cut out the turnip if you want to lower that amount but I love the texture it brings to the soup, totally worth it to me.
- Want to bulk the soup up a little? Add in some shredded chicken for a heartier meal although this by itself was a perfect dinner for us.
- Like most soups and stews I serve it over some rice for the kids, stretches it out a bit and makes them happy. Win/Win
I love to see your food photos and modifications, tag me on social media #tableandachair so I can check out your creations. Thanks for stopping by!